Residence Permits

Residence Permit After Graduation

If you want to stay in Finland after your studies, you are eligible to apply for an extended residence permit to look for a job for the duration of maximum one year. This is typically the first residence permit students apply for after their studies, if they have not found a job yet. Otherwise, you can apply directly for an extended permit on the basis of work. If you would like to start a business right away, you can also apply directly for a residence permit for a start-up entrepreneur.

Residence permit application for extended permit to look for work or to start a business


  • Valid residence permit for studies (please note! Apply before the student permit expires!)
  • Graduated
  • Have not found a job yet
  • Income requirement:
    • you have secure means of support, EUR 560 at your disposal every month / EUR 6,720 for a year. The income requirement for this permit is the same as it is for a residence permit for studies.

You can start to work with this permit immediately once you have found work. Then, however, you are required to apply for a work permit. You can apply for an extended permit on the basis of work.

Residence Permit on the Basis of Work


  • you currently have a residence permit on other grounds
  • you have a valid work contract that complies with the with the requirements

The work residence permit is usually for the duration of your work contract, but for a maximum of 4 years.

If you decide to start your own business, then apply for the following residence permit.


Residence Permit Application for a Start-up Entrepreneur


  • you are a startup entrepreneur
  • positive eligibility statement from Business Finland
  • sufficient financial resources for your living costs in Finland (min. EUR 1,000 per month or EUR 12,000 per year)
    • Can be shown by bank account or if you have an employment contract with an according wage or you received a funding or through other sources of income (i.e. rental income)

It is possible to work for another employer with this permit, the main purpose of stay must be however, entrepreneurship.

In general for all residence permits, you will have to fill out the application online on the Migri website and make an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service. While filling out your application, you will be guided to make an appointment online. The nearest service points from Kajaani are in Oulu and Kuopio. During the appointment, you have to show a printout of your application, as well as original documents and your finger prints will be taken. After the appointment the processing of your application starts. The duration of processing depends on the grounds.

As an EU citizen, you do not need to apply for a residence permit, but you have to register your right of residence.